Tuesday 5 August 2014

Camper's - Hong Kong

Date of visit: Saturday, 5 July 2014

My mother and me are creatures of habit, frequenting the same restaurants even if the queues are only getting longer and the portions smaller. Though we live near the increasingly-happening Soho East, we have never dined at the many restaurants in the area. On a Saturday night we decided we should stop going to the same place (for a weekend at least) and headed to Camper's, a Japanese eatery tucked away in a street of garages. Our "curiosity" and "bravery" were well rewarded with some awesome hearty home-cooking!

Slow Cooked Pork Cartilage ($29) - in my head, pork cartilage is a chewy business. Think pork cartilage in noodle soup from Ajisen Ramen and Tsui Wah. Lots of people love that, I don't. I prefer this slow-cooked version from Camper's. There's just something magical about slow-cooked braised meat: succulent with a flaky texture and intense flavours, sitting in its own glaze... In this case, the tough cartilage had broken down into this gooey goodness. And it's only $29!

Beef Ribs in Black Sesame Curry with Mixed Rice ($63) - I eat plenty of curries, but black sesame curry is something I'd never heard of. Though lacking in a distinctive sesame flavour, it gave the curry a dark, almost blackish tone. As for the meat, it's my favourite - braised beef ribs! They could have been more generous with the rib pieces, but they were generous indeed with the vegetables. There was even sweet potato pieces in the rice. Reminder: don't eat this on a date! Unless your date is into black teeth and black bits inbetween teeth...

Hiroshima Oyster Curry with Mixed Rice ($66) - I had been craving oysters so my mother got this to share with me. From the photos it's clear that this, compared to the black sesame curry, was lighter and runnier. Personally I prefered the Beef Ribs in Black Sesame Curry, but this was tasty as well.


They charge $3 per person for tea. Sort of a strange practice... You could pay extra for juice instead but I'm not sure if refill is available.


Rating: 4.5/5

In a nutshell: Healthy and unpretentious Japanese home-cooking that your wallet will love. I especially appreciate the shop's motto of healthy eating. There's even a dish called 1-day Mixed Vegetables Curry to help you meet your 5-A-Day. I will be back!


Camper's 坐忘
13 Pan Hoi Street
Quarry Bay
Hong Kong

Website
Facebook

1 comment:

  1. I want to eat this! The nutshell summary delivers exactly what I am looking for! the thing is your words made the dishes attractive already :P keep it going mate

    ReplyDelete