Saturday 5 July 2014

Urban Bakery Works - Hong Kong

Dates of visit: Monday, 10 March 2014 & Tuesday, 17 June 2014

In case you don't know already, Urban Bakery / Urban Bakery Works* operates under the Maxim's umbrella. As much as I'd like to see Urban Bakery simply as another product of clever marketing that tries too hard to be cool (see M&C.Duck 美中.鴨子**), I believe there's more to it. Though it may well be another soulless shop that wants nothing but your money, their croissants are the best I can find in Hong Kong.

* Urban Bakery is a bakery whilst Urban Bakery Works is more of a sit-down cafe. Except for the 8-hour Duck Confit Sandwich ~inspired~ by Borough Market, Urban Bakery sells the same sandwiches as Urban Bakery Works, but cheaper.
** Seriously what on earth is that name? I'll never understand the world's obsession with the dot, which FYI is known as 間隔號.

Double Ham and Brie Croissandwich ($48) - double ham as in "ham" ham we normally have and parma ham

Lotssss of ham, as you can see. But half of the only slice of parma ham fell out of the sandwich (see first photo) so I couldn't taste it until the last few bites.

Langoutine Croissandwich with Curry Emulsion ($48) - this is from my March visit. I like langoutine and croissant... I remember wishing there would be more langoutine

Rating: 3/5

Food: I love Urban Bakery's croissants. Flaky, buttery and probably artery-clogging but I don't care. So it's unfortunate that these croissandwiches from Urban Bakery Works are pre-made. They sit there under layers of wrap paper, slowly becoming a greasy soggy mess that swims in its own butter, no longer crispy and airy. They still taste OK but what a shame.

Environment: Confusing system - get your sandwich from the sandwich bar, then run to the other side of the bar to pay. Want a drink? Order at the cashier... I wonder if people run off with their sandwiches without paying.

Service: No service... I get it, this place gets quite busy during lunch time, but how hard is it to force a smile?

Price: I've noticed an interesting phenomenon - shops can get away with selling you sandwiches for $100 if they do it like how they do it in Europe or America; whereas local fast food places are damned for charging you $50 for fried rice and a drink. I know it's "just £4", but I do mind paying $48 for a sad pre-made sandwich. I know it's Central. But come on Maxim's you could do better, with your economies of scale. Next time I'll get my croissant from Urban Bakery for $14, buy some beef and make a sandwich myself. It will probably taste better.



Urban Bakery Works
Room 322, 3/F, The Landmark
12-16 Des Voeux Road Central
Central
Hong Kong

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment